Tuesday, January 25, 2011

First Dollshouse - Living Room

I started a little tour of my first dollshouse - quite a while ago now, so you have probably forgotten all about it. Here is a photo of the outside of the house. I found a pattern for this house in a dollshouse book from the public library (this was before I had managed to track done a dollshouse club so I was doing it all on my own). The house is a bit Dutch looking - I didn't mind this even though I'm a kiwi girl, because my husband is a little bit Dutch (born there, brought up here). But it's very English on the inside.


I thought I would continue the tour today, with a look at the living room. Here is a photo of the whole room. Yes, there is no door into this room..... .....but I have a good reason.....

I needed room for a bookcase! So the bookcase is now hiding the door. I guess I could always pretend it is a movable bookcase hiding a secret door. Anyway, I don't care and no-one ever notices the missing door - I mean hidden door.

Books are very important in my life, so I had to have a little reading corner! Quite of few of these books are by Treefeathers. I love the convex mirror and the butterfly collection. You won't see many home-made miniatures in this house, I'm afraid, because this before I thought of doing that!!

The gorgeous Fruit Charlotte cake is by Lesley Burgess.

This is the other side of the room. I hankered after a leather sofa so I put one in the miniature house. (We have got a leather sofa in real life now, yay!) The picture of the sleeping girl is one of my favourites - it is called Sleeping June and was painted in 1895 by Frederick Lord Leighton. The picture of the nasturtiums (I love nasturtiums and have them growing outside my front door) dates from the same era. I love the dragonfly stained glass lamp because I have one in real life.I quite like this little doll still, although I don't put them in my scenes any more. I embroidered the footstool for her.

Just one room of the house to show you now....the little bedroom at the top of the house. I'll do that soon. Thanks for dropping by.

20 comments:

TreeFeathers said...

Lol, I love the secret door - the hallmark of a miniaturist: improvise! Thought I recognized some of the books, too, thanks for mentioning me. :) They look perfect - love the Emily Dickinson with the sleeping cat! The whole room is very cozy. I'm not much for dolls in scenes, either, but that is a really nice one. Who made her?

- Grace

Catherine said...

It is a lovely house. I hope the tour will continue with more photos. :-)

Lataina said...

Carolyn, I love the outside of this house! Now how cute is the kitty sleeping on the throw. =) I love books, and I think I'm starting to like mini books even more! It's a nice room with a lot of very nice details. Thanks for sharing. =)

lluna said...

Hola Carolyn!! Es una casa muy bonita, la fachada es muy real y la habitación está llena de bellos detalles que le dan vida y la hacen muy acogedora. Felicidades!!
Olga.
http://elpetitmondelalluna.blogspot.com

Flora said...

The miniatures are a sense when they are inserted in the doll houses: buy their true size :-)
Even this room is lovely, I love the hairstyle of the doll, the newspaper left on the arm of the chair and the cat snoring on the couch :-)

Lotte said...

Your house is so beautiful! Waiting more pics... ;)

malu2 said...

Me gusta muchísimo tu casita, preciosa,tiene detalles muy bonitos,soy tu seguidora,tengo tu blog enlace con el mío,Besos.

Christine said...

I'm really enjoying the visits back to your first house. Even though they are such different styles, both houses I have seen (are there more?) have the same lived in flavour. It takes a lot of talent to source the right pieces to create that.

C said...

Such a lovely room. I like the idea of the hidden door. Great details. Best wishes, Carol :)

Lucille said...

This room is spectacular. The furniture and decorations are divine. The little doll looks like she belongs there. I love everything about this room. I just wish that I could enlarge the pictures so as to really be able to appreciate the finer details.

Gemma (Gempo) said...

Beautiful house and georgious livinf room, I wait your next post. Best wishes

Estefanía said...

Es una casa preciosa! me gusta mucho ese estilo Holandés. El salón está muy bien decorado y conjuntado, y ese gatito dormido es un amor!

Jollie said...

Hi Carolyn,

It's a very lovely house with that hidden door behind the book shelves! ;)

Hugs, Jollie

Drora's minimundo said...

Thanks for showing this fabulous dollhouse. It's a jewel!

Gonda said...

Wonderful house, I love the cabinet with mirror.

Irene said...

Thanks for the tour of your first house and I too like the idea of the "concealed" door!

busyascanbe said...

Wow that is so pretty ...you have done an amazing job.

María José- LugArt petit said...

Tu trabajo es fantástico. Tienes unas manos de oro. Te he dejado un premio en mi blog en reconocimiento a tu trabajo. Espero que te guste. Kisses from Spain

Patty said...

Carolyn, I love this house! I wish you would make your pictures bigger so we can expand them and really get a good look up close!! You have such a sweet way of decorating so everything looks so comfy! Looking forward to more photos!!!

Susan@minicrochetmad said...

Hi Carolyn, I've just been visiting your blog, having a lovely look through pics and enjoying reading all over again.

Missing your cheery presence in miniature blogland, hope all is well with you.

Regards,
Susan