Monday, November 15, 2010

My First Dollshouse

Well, just as a change from shabby chic, I thought I would give you a little tour of my other dollshouse. This dollshouse is the first house I built, about four years ago - from a pattern in a library book, with my father-in-laws help. This was back in the days when I thought you had to BUY all the furniture and accessories for inside the dollshouse. This dollshouse is Victorian/Edwardian (hmmmmnn??) and has three rooms.

Today's tour is the kitchen. Here is a photo of the whole room, populated by the cook, her friend from the country who is visiting, and the butler, who would quite like to have a cup of tea with them! I don't really like to put dolls in my scenes any more, but I did put dolls in this house and so they have to stay there!

I am especially attached to these two dolls because they were made by a lovely New Zealand lady and they have such a lot of character in their faces! They look as though they would be very nice friendly people to get to know!

I love the stove, which was "as cheap as chips" (that means very cheap!) I love all the ornate details! The copperware on the stove was made by Ken Wyman here in New Zealand. I really love the little kitchen rack you can see in the top photo, with all the copperware on display. Isn't it great that you can have the things in miniature that you would like to have in real life but can't afford!

This shelf was meant to be a bathroom shelf, but I am pretending it belongs in the kitchen because I really like it. It looks like someone has used one of those old parcel racks from a train carriage as a shelf in the kitchen. The coffee pot is totally out of era but I don't care at all because I am a coffee fantatic in real life.

It was great fun filling up the dresser....I have ginger beer bugs there because the cook is making ginger beer every week, and there are some wonderful preserves. The "shawl" hanging on the hook is an old lace collar that was given to me by my lovely 90-year-old neighbour, Elsie, who has since passed away. She enjoyed visiting and looking at the dollshouse.

I made most of the preserves but the asparagus spears are the wonderful work of Linda Cummings at Linsminis, who makes wonderful miniature food!

This is my favourite item in the kitchen and I made it myself! I made lots and lots of jam and jelly last summer (in real full sized life) and this is a miniature apple and blackberry jelly board I made. I love the little blackberries!

Finally, here is the kitchen window, which is on the opening front of the dollshouse. My husband's family are Dutch, so I made the little Dutch plates above the window. The little windmill on the windowsill was a bracelet charm. The gorgeous blue art nouveau "plate" is an antique French enamel button. The picture to the right of the window was a broach that was in my little boy's kindy play box....his kindy teacher said I could have it for the dollshouse. I made the little jams on the windowsill and the peaches. The lovely pink bowl that holds the peaches was made by Bill Helmer.

Well, that will do for now. I have lots more to show you but will do that another day. I hope you have enjoyed this visit to my "old" dollshouse! And have a lovely, lovely week!!!!!

23 comments:

Lataina said...

Awesome pics! That jelly board is fantastic. Can't wait for more to come. =)

Kim Gillian said...

Love the dollhouse!!
-Kim :)

Catherine said...

It's a wonderful kitchen! I love it!

My first miniatures were really for children. They were wood but very crudely made. I just pitched them all in the bin. They had been in the attic for years.

miniacollection said...

Gorgeous details.I love your first house, a lovely style.
Geneviève

Flora said...

:-)
I love this kind of home: the Victorian era is my favorite, even when it is a bit naive.
For my home, my only home, I chose the same cast iron stove because I find it very beautiful, although it is really cheap!
I'm glad you decided to show this house :-)
Mini hugs, Flora

by Sonya said...

Very beautiful doll's house!I love the people who lives in it!Nice faces!
Love
Sonya

Lara said...

Carolyn, I loved the tour :-)
And the jellyboard is great!

Heleni said...

Carolyn, I love your house very much. So very beautiful things.
Thanks for sharing.

gr.Heleni

Gemma said...

Me encanta tu nueva cocina y los personajes. Los utensilios me parecen perfectos, sonre todo el colador o filtro para la salsa, creo.
Un saludo

Kikka N said...

O´ what a beautiful kitchen! So wonderful details!
Waiting fo more to see.. :)

Eva said...

Magníficos detalles de la cocina, la mantilla de encaje es una verdadera joya. Un saludo, Eva

Mina Gouldsamadiner said...

Hi. I love the tour in your victorian dollhouse. Most enjoyable.
//Kicki

Julia and Hywel said...

Loved the tour :) It's all lovely.
Julia xx

Nina in Germany said...

I love this kitchen and all the tiny details.
Very great.
Nina

Gemma (Gempo) said...

Carolyn gorgeous cook, I like very much all details. I wait the tour for the rest of the house. Good week for you too

Jaana said...

Very beautiful doll's house!!
- jaana-
http://www.nukkekoti.net

Iris said...

The kitchen is wonderful! Stove is very beautiful! I love your kitchen.

Lucille said...

What a wonderful surprise! Thank you so much for sharing.

Patty said...

Carolyn, All of the pictures were such a treat! I love your first dollhouse and look forward to more pictures!!!

Irene said...

Thanks for the tour of your kitchen, there was lots to see. I'm now looking forward to seeing the rest.

Christine said...

I really enjoyed seeing where you started. :~)

Isn't it funny how so many of us think at first that you have to buy things, then realise that you can make things quite well and gain items not easily available or affordable. Your plates enhance this house just as much as the other and all your other bits are gorgeous too. What was the teacher's face like when you wanted to raid her toybox? :~D

I also look forward to seeing more of this house.

Marion said...

Next time I visit I wouldn't mind a personal tour.... ;-) But for now this will do fine. Can't wait for the other rooms. You're a guide with an eye for detail!
Bye for now
Marion

Unknown said...

Una cocina preciosa. Todos los detalles muy reales. Sería un placer acompañar en el té a la cocinera con su amiga :)
Un trabajo muy bien hecho.
Besos Clara