Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Shabby Window Mirror

I have been meaning to make a mirror for the living room for ages....I wanted one that looks as though it has been made from an old window frame. Then the other day when I was lost in blog-land, I saw a wondeful photo here of a lovely full-sized one, complete with shutters, and got all inspired. The main thing holding me up has been getting hold of a piece of real mirror that was around about the right size. I've pulled apart makeup compacts (mirror was too big) and shopped at the $2 shop (mirrors were too small), and then I remembered I had another mirror lurking in the shadows.

Now, no offence to anyone who has this mirror in their Victorian dollshouse, where it probably looks fantastic, but it doesn't suit my little shabby cottage at all, so....

....OFF WITH ITS HEAD!


...and a bit of paint, and glue and after the addition of a shutter that has been cut in half, here is my mirror and it looks just right in the living room. That wall needed something to brighten it up and I am really happy with it. It's not quite the same as the one in the photo but I thought that too much more embellishment in addition to the shutters would probably be a bit over the top.

35 comments:

Lara said...

Carolyn, your mirror looks fabulous!
And I wanted to thank you for your plate decorating tutorial. I hope to try it myself one day ;-)

Christine said...

It looks wonderful! Both mirrors are nice, but your adaptation is the right one for your house. :)

If you get a chance, can you pop over to my blog for some advice on easy cutters please. I am starting to wonder if I got a dud!

Heleni said...

Fabulous Carolyn. Perfect in your house.

gr.Heleni

Gemma (Gempo) said...

Hello Carolyn wonderful mirror-window, good work. Best wishes

berri said...

looks great! nice job!

berri
blackberritart.blogspot.com

Minimami said...

Just perfect, your mirror gave me an idea for my bedroom. Hope you don´t mind if I borrow it!

Carolyn said...

I don't mind at all - I borrowed it too!!

Ascension said...

Una brillante idea, te ha quedado precioso, enhorabuena!!
besitos ascension

Christine said...

I just came back for another look :~) All your rooms look so real and so desirable!

by Sonya said...

Very good idea!It's good only for 1:1 mirrow!
Thanks!
Sonya

miniacollection said...

What a very good idea! I love the result and it is perfect in your room.
Geneviève

Unknown said...

Es una solución fantastica. Además has reciclado una pieza que no usabas. ¡Perfecto! Me encanta.
Besos Clara

otterine said...

What a great transformation! Nice work! :D

Frederica said...

wow , Carolyn , that is an amazing piece of work , couldn't believe it ,so real looking , your room looks so amazing too ,wow.

love from Frederica

Patty said...

Carolyn, You are such a great artist! I love this mirror!! It came out so perfect and looks wonderful in your house!!!! Thank you for all of the pictures about how you made it! They are really wonderful!!!

Marfolhuz miniatures said...

It is absolutely fabulous!

Catherine said...

It is just wonderful! I love it.

rosanna said...

Perfect, it's absolutely at home in your mini living room. It's lovely and fresh. Rosanna

Lotte said...

I love your mirror! It´s absolutely fantastic!

Lotte
http://lottasatomaa.wordpress.com

Mancsi said...

Very nice Carolyn, this room is so cosy:) I like the colors very much.

Arantxa Fariña said...

Great Idea!!

I like so much, it's great

Hugs

Lataina said...

It turned out beautifully! =)

Wanda said...

Great job!

Estefanía said...

Wow que cambio! así es mucho más bonito! que idea tan buena. Un beso

Margaret said...

Your room looks wonderful and 'shabby' and you have done a great job with the mirror, I love shutters too and must use a couple in the shop!

Caroline said...

I love the mirror makeover, it looks so much better. I really enjoy seeing how you transform items to better suit your decor for the dollhouse. I'm a big fan of shabby chic in my own home. Do you decorate your home in shabby chic as well?

Kathi said...

What a great idea, done perfectly! Love your creativity! I love my easy cutter too! Would never have thought about cutting the mirror frame like you did.

Kim Gillian said...

Great Job!! I Love it!!!

Unknown said...

Me encanta el cambio que le has dado!!!

Besitos

Anthoula said...

Great job! I simply love it!

Rapunzel said...

What a wonderful idea! This mirror looks absolutely great.
rapunzel

kibbygirl said...

Omg... I love it. What a great idea!! I think it turned out beautifully.

Mercedes Spencer @ Liberty Biberty said...

Gorgeous work, once again Carolyn!
Mercedes

Marisa said...

it's very pretty and suits the room perfectly!

Yayin said...

Ha quedado precioso,me gusta mucho la idea.
Felicidades,tienes unos trabajos preciosos.
Besos Rosa