Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Inspiration for a new project


MY INSPIRATION BOARD

So here goes with my new project!  You can see it in the photo below.  It doesn't look much now....it's a room box which I started working on a couple of years ago and then lost interest in.  It was originally going to be a kitchen based on something I found in a magazine, but I completely lost interest shortly after starting it.  You can see the signs of me losing interest when I just stuck a paper floor down instead of putting a bit more effort into making a realistic floor.



Well, it's due for renovation/completion.  




I don't know what I was thinking really....pink walls and blue panelling??  It's all going to have to go!

Yesterday I spent two hours (TWO HOURS!!!) working on an inspiration board for my new project.  This isn't something I have ever done before but even though my time might have been better spent actually getting started, I am really glad that I did it.  The theme for this new project is Vintage....kind of a bright, primary-colour, red-and-blue 1950s/Cath Kidston/ kind of vibe. 

My main inspiration and quite a few of the photos on my inspiration board are from Happy Loves Rosie.   If you haven't read her blog before, check it out.  (It's full size, not miniature!)

She also has some amazing photos of her retro-styled caravans too!  Amazing!  Happy describes her style as Happy Shabby and Gypsy Kitsch.  I think Bright Vintage would also be a good description.  So you can see I am going to have to relinquish my pastels and get into some bright and cheerful colours.  I'm really looking forward to it.

My room box is going to be a kitchen (of course)!

So I guess just watch this space.....

https://www.etsy.com/nz/listing/183963942/gorgeous-set-of-greengate-plates-for?ref=shop_home_active_1
 

I am really happy with these cute little plates I made for my Etsy store....an update for 2014 on the Greengate sets that everyone seems to really like - I have my eye on that blue plate with the spotty rim though - it might have to find a new home in the Vintage Kitchen when I am further along with the project!



Now that we have moved house, I can tell you where we are.....for those of you who are Lord of the Rings fans, we are now living right next to Mount Doom.


Of course, in real life, the mountain is called Mt Ngauruhoe and at the moment there is no snow on it, because here in New Zealand it is just the beginning of Autumn.

Well in honour of a new project, I have given my blog a new look, but it's a pretty big change....missing my pretty pastel cooking pots already.  I made my own background too, from a tutorial I found here.....took ages but it was fun to be able to do it myself instead of relying on finding a blog background I liked.  Be honest, do you like the new look, or shall I put it back as it was??

I'll keep you posted on progress with the Vintage Kitchen!



13 comments:

Susan@minicrochetmad said...

So, you're in sight of Ruapehu, you'll be a bit chilly in winter! To be honest about your new blog design, I rather like it, however I did have to check your profile to see if I was where I thought I was ;) Mmmm, I did like your pretty pastels but a change is as good as a holiday - so they say :) Your new kitchen project looks intriguing!

Carolyn said...

Yes, we're right beside the mountains. It'll be cold here when winter comes but maybe we'll get to go skiing. I'm missing my pastels too but they may come back - in fact they'll almost definitely sneak back in, let's be honest!!

Lara said...

Dear Carolyn, I will be following your new project :-). Your inspiration board makes me curious about your project. Can´t wait to see what you are going to make.

Wait until I tell my kids you are living next to Mount Doom, they are huge fans of LOTR :-))). I guess they would love to see it!

Hugs, Lara

Flora said...

First thing, I like the background, the beauty is that you can change whenever you want, without regret :-)
Then, I love the idea of Fifties kitchen, mainly because I love Fifties! They were years of hope and optimism and everything was colorful and innovative, with a unique style.
Your new location is nothing short of breathtaking, wow ...
Thanks for reporting the blog Happy Roses :-)
Hugs,
Flora

Eliana said...

Amazing source of inspiration! The dishes are so beautiful!

Marisa said...

congrats on your move to Mt Doom..(kidding) I love the new look of your blog too, I cant wait to see how your kitchen turns out

Hugs
Marisa

Mi mundo de miniatura said...

Me gusta, me gusta y me gusta!!! Ya está bien de tonos pasteles, saquemos fuera esos rojos, azules, colores alegres, que dan vida. Lo que he podido ver de la foto superior es encantador!! Creo que con tu gran creatividad resultará una cocina maravillosa. Un abrazo

Amy Fletcher said...

Hi Carolyn,
I do like the new background and the new project looks cool. I'm excited to see what you come up with because I always love the things you make. The new plates are lovely as well. :)
xo Amy

miniacollection said...

I will be very happy to follow your new project.
Geneviève

Fabiola said...

I like your new project and I'm curious to see more.
The plates are beautiful.

CA Verstraete said...

Love the vintage look and can't wait to see the new project. Been slowly working on mine too, a shabby-type old country house in half scale. Just put a few new pix up on the blog so stop by. Love your plates!

Frederica said...

Hi Carolyn , I love your Inspiration Board and I love you new look and am looking forward to seeing the progress on your new project , so exciting , with those colours and yes I have seen Happy loves Rosie's blog a couple of times ,it is gorgeous and inspiring, I agree
lots of love from Frederica

Norma Bennett said...

Your inspiration board is - well - inspiring! ;) Especially love the old tins in the right top section. I'm even getting bitten by the mini kitchen bug myself at the moment which comes as a huge surprise since I hate to cook and bake in real life. There's something so comforting and cozy about a cottage style mini kitchen though ...

SO great to see you back on your blog! I have no doubt there's lots more inspiration to come :)